Thursday, March 6, 2014

Mexican Green (or Red) Peppers (Southern Living, 1980)

I love red peppers.  I don't love green peppers.  Luckily, this is an easy substitution for a recipe.

Audry assigned this one for us to make this month.  Well to be honest, due to my forgetfulness, I had a limited selection of which to choose from.  So really, Audry chose this from a pre-approved list that Chris helped me make.  When I forgot to bring THE cookbook to the sisters planning session, I had the list that Chris could send to me.  So Audry really can't take all the credit for picking a good recipe, but, I will say, this was a good one; so thanks, sis.


We substituted red for green peppers; turkey for beef; and quinoa for rice.  I also didn't have any tomato sauce, so I used tomato paste and a little water.  I also *may* have increased the chili powder to about 2 tablespoons, and added some crushed red pepper.  Oh, and I of course added a little cheese on top.  


These look a little funny because I only had red quinoa.  It kind of blended in with everything.  

I really changed the cooking directions, though.  I cooked the turkey, added some spices and the onion.  Once cooked, I added in the chopped tomato and cooked quinoa.  I added a bit more spice and the tomato paste and water.  I stuffed the peppers and baked for about 30 minutes at 350.  This were wonderful.  We are looking forward to making these again.  4 stars for sure.

- Chery

No comments:

Post a Comment