Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Six-Layer Dip (Southern Living 1981)

Layered dip was made for a party! 

Or at least a large group. Or at least a group of which I will be a part. Yum!  I have always been a fan of the layered Mexican dip, even though it commonly features my arch-nemesis - olives. I even eat it with the olives! I know, right?

You are about to discover the world's best six-layer dip because...no olives! Yay! I like being in charge.

Here's the original recipe:
I followed my mom's recommendations on this one and added the refried beans to the bottom. See her writing? In red? And again in blue. I followed both sets of directions! Yay me! I think it was good to have a little less tomato, so it was more garnish-y than layer-y.

 Layers in progress!
 

I changed a bit about the guacamole portion of this recipe. I don't know what they were going for with mayonnaise in guacamole, because I've never heard of such. I made guacamole how I always make it. 3ish ripe avocados, lime juice, cilantro, jalapeno, salt...everything to taste (The Hubs' taste actually, because I'm not a connoisseur of guacamole).

Otherwise it was the same. Except of course, no olives. And less tomato. And I used some of the extra cilantro in the tomato layer. Added freshness and yum-ness.

I made it for our Sunday School - we hosted a lunch a few Sundays ago. Everyone liked it. Except my boys - who didn't have it. I can tell you they wouldn't have liked it though. Know why? Beans.
Baby Girl liked this one! I gave her the bottom two layers (being careful to stay away from the jalapenos), and she really seemed to like it! Especially when I gave it to her on a chip.

~Audry

1 comment: