Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Triple-Chocolate Buttermilk Pound Cake

Junior has been totally into cooking recently. 

Y'all know we are homeschooling. I decided this year I wanted the boys to take cooking classes. Junior has LOVED it! He's even cooked 2 complete meals for our family. Main course, side, and dessert! He even figured out what we'd need from the store! 

The first time he cooked dinner, it was a class requirement. The second time was because he begged! I was like, "YES PLEASE! SOMEONE, ANYONE ELSE PLEASE COOK!"

He eats better when he cooks it. Can I get an Amen?

On to the recipe. My sweet grandmother gifted me (and my sisters!) a subscription to Southern Living Magazine this year. WOOT! I'm loving it. Especially when the first issue I got looked like this:


This cake.Y'all. First of all, it's beautiful. Second, it's a triple-chocolate. Can anything get better? I think not.

Then Junior saw it. 

He immediately decided we NEEDED the cake. 

Frankly, I agreed. Because cake and also because you'll remember that this happened at the store:
(accidentally, mind you and only partially because of the triple-chocolate cake)
 
He initially decided to make it when he had some friends coming to spend the night. Junior had told me (completely serious) that he wanted to cook for "someone outside the family" - I'm not sure what to think about that. 

At any rate, it didn't work out time-wise for him to bake it that day. He ended up baking it on Tuesday. And. Yum.


Here's his final product.
You can see from the knife in the foreground that we'd already dug in.


I was proud!Okay fine, it's not as beautiful as the cover, but he's 11 y'all! And really I want to see someone in real life make it as beautiful as the cover!

Plus, it was/is REALLY good. The buttermilk gives it an almost cheesecake-y flavor. It's really delicate and super chocolatey. J-Boy doesn't like it. Because chocolate hurts his throat. Ahem. Baby Girl LOVES it. She made me go to the kitchen tonight and took me to the cake. I had to give her some. A girl needs her chocolate fix. And I had to help her eat her slice. The tragedies of motherhood.

I seriously only helped with greasing/flouring the pan and getting it out (stuff he'd never done before). 

He convinced The Hubs to take about half to work. Because he wants to cook for "someone outside the family" and all. Junior will be eagerly awaiting the level of enjoyment report. I'm sure it will be favorable!

1 comment:

  1. What a great story! Junior can cook for me/us anytime! Yum!

    ReplyDelete