Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Cinnamon-Chocolate Cupcake (Southern Living 1981)

I love cupcakes. And cookies. And ice cream. And cakes. Okay, fine. I love dessert. I saw this recipe and just had to try it! Cinnamon + chocolate = Yum!
First of all...microwave cookery struck again. Really, who cooks cupcakes in the microwave? I couldn't bring myself to even try, so here comes the first modification. Second, I doubled the recipe and only got 17 cupcakes. I also changed out the vegetable oil for coconut oil. I thought it was interesting that the cupcakes were eggless, but I knew the vinegar and baking soda together would probably do something with that.

 I followed the directions until it got to baking time. 
I decided that 350 was a good temp to start with, then I just watched them until I thought they were done. I guess it worked okay.
After the cupcakes were out of the oven, I started on the frosting. I took a bit to The Hubs for sampling. He said it tasted like a honey bun. I asked if that was a good thing, and he said yes. Whew!

I packaged them up in my cupcake carrier because we were heading to dinner at Lindy's. We'd had Little Man to spend the night and returned him home via dinner together (+ a friend of Lindy's and her family). Fun drop off! PS I love my cupcake carrier - and I get tons of compliments on it! It's so handy! A gift from my grandmother - she gives the most thoughtful and best gifts! 

These cupcakes were a winner. 


Really, everyone liked them! Or at least, everyone said they did. Junior ate leftovers x 3, J-Boy x 2...so that's a success in my book! In my opinion, the frosting overpowered the cake a bit, so it would be nice for the cake part to be a bit bigger.

If I was going to make them again, I would still double the recipe, but just make 12 cupcakes and probably not double the frosting. With 17 cupcakes I had some frosting leftover. This is a good go to recipe - especially when you don't have any eggs on hand.


~Audry



No comments:

Post a Comment