Wednesday, June 11, 2014

El Dorado Casserole (Southern Living 1981)

June in my 1981 Southern Living is heavily laden with a vast array of casseroles. Junior and J-Boy hate casseroles. In fact, when they ask what's for dinner and it includes the word "casserole" in the title, I try to think of something else to call it. It rarely works. They know a casserole when they see it. They are hard to fool.

This casserole seemed harmless enough, and I figured The Hubs and I would like it, so we might as well give it a go!

  

 I used ground beef I cooked when purchased and then froze (my favorite cook-ahead cheat). 

I think this dish would have been improved by using taco seasonings or enchilada sauce with the tomato sauce. I added cumin (because I love it) (and because I though only a pinch of dried onion and a touch of garlic powder was and would never be enough seasonings). (I was right).

Don't judge the tee-ninsy amount of dried onion. The jar is small and running out something fierce. 








 













 This dish is all about the layering. Layers in progress!


On my plate.































The verdict: 
The Hubs wanted more flavor on the beef. I concur heartily. He said he thought the addition of enchilada sauce would be nice. I think more cumin. Maybe both! J-Boy said it was terrible. He said it would be 100% better if I left out the green chile. Junior said it was good only with thousand island dressing. He has standards.

This is also gluten free! Although I know Chery won't eat it because of the beef...but it might be one to try with chicken. I think that would actually be better. I'm a fan of chicken with green chile. I think that stems from our mom's love of white chicken chili which has green chiles in it. I remember hating it as a kid. Now I love it. My kids hate it. This is what we like to call Coming Full Circle. 

Hi mom! I am so so so so so sorry about complaining about dinner! I really did love it! Every single one! They were delicious! Please come cook at my house!

Sorry.

Back to the verdict.

I would do this one again, but add the enchilada sauce, more cumin, and I think I would skip the cottage cheese in favor of more sour cream. Honestly, I don't know what the cottage cheese did that more sour cream couldn't do. Plus we don't really eat cottage cheese around here. Maybe we do. I'll have to ask The Hubs. I just realized I don't know if he likes it...



~Audry


4 comments:

  1. Awwwwww! So sweet! I would cook for you again any day. If I could go back and do it again? I would either (a) make something that I knew you liked every meal, or (b) make something completely new every meal (like you are doing now!). You are such a great mom! Wish I could have your leftovers! (Don't tell you dad I said that; since he is my main cook now, he might get his feelings hurt.) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mom! You're the best. :) Love you!

      Delete
  2. I love this recipe. All my cookbooks are in storage and for giggles I decided to google it. And here it is!! Can't wait to make it tonight!! Thanks for having it here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this recipe. All my cookbooks are in storage and for giggles I decided to google it. And here it is!! Can't wait to make it tonight!! Thanks for having it here!

    ReplyDelete