Monday, June 30, 2014

Creamy Beets (Southern Living, 1980)

Yes... before we go any further, I made a recipe entitled "Creamy Beets".  A couple of take aways - I like beets.  I did not, however, love this presentation of beets.  It was good enough to determine I would like to try beets again, though, so it wasn't too bad.

On page 136 in Southern Living, 1980; Creamy Beets are as follows:


I truly didn't change too much.

Creamy Beets
1 1/4 lbs. fresh beets
1 tbls lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
5 drops hot sauce
1/2 cup sour cream

- Peel & cut beets, steam
- Add remaining ingredients to cooked beets, except sour cream, over medium heat until warm.  Remove from heat and add sour cream, stirring constantly.  Serve warm.
The Steamed beets, ready for the remaining ingredients.

The final product.  I don't think this picture does the PINK color justice.  I'm really surprised Chris ate this... I guess after all of these years he does love me ;0)

I think my downfall in the looks was peeling the beets prior to cooking them...  As this was the first time I have ever made beets, I was in a time pinch and wanted to skip the cook, cool, then peel steps.  Seeing my hands dyed red while peeling/cutting the beets I kept thinking this would be a disaster and my white steaming basket would never be the same again.  I am happy to say, the red stain washed off easily.  From the steam basket and my hands.  What a relief.

Until next time,
Chery

No comments:

Post a Comment