Saturday, May 3, 2014

Macaroni-and-Cheese Deluxe (Southern Living 1979)

I didn't think I was going to get this mac and cheese dish into the menu plan the week of the 13th, but we did - and the kids loved it.  I used about 3.5 cups rotini pasta instead of an 8-ounce box of elbow macaroni because I had rotini in the house.

I also decided I wanted for us to try it, because it would use cottage cheese, and I had made a mistake in my purchase choice for cottage cheese.  It was on sale, but I failed to recognize that it had no salt added.  I'm not sure if that was the problem, but we really didn't like it with fruit.  I thought, though, that it would work in a recipe or two, and it did!  I really don't like throwing away recently purchased food if I can help it.
Macaroni-and-Cheese Deluxe (Southern Living 1979)
3.5 cups whole grain rotini pasta
2 cups low-fat, small curd cottage cheese
1 cup light sour cream
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 t salt
Dash pepper
1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375F.
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
Combine cottage cheese, sour cream, egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.  Stir in Cheddar cheese.  Add macaroni; stir well.
Pour into well-sprayed 9-inch baking pan.  Cook for approximately 30 minutes at 375F.

Lindy

No comments:

Post a Comment