Monday, February 3, 2014

Barbecued Pot Roast (Southern Living 1979)

Not great, not bad.  That about sums up this meal for us.  Audry picked it for us to try.  I didn't change this recipe that much - just made it into a crock-pot meal and about halved the recipe, because I had a smaller piece of roast.  It was so unspectacular, however, that I'm tempted not to even share how I tweaked it. 

I guess I will share how I changed it, though, so that maybe you can tweak some more to get something a little more tasty and a little less dry.

Barbecued Pot Roast
1 (2- to 2.5-pound) chuck roast
1/2 medium onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water (if I made this a next time, I would cut back to 1/4 cup water)
1.5 T apple cider vinegar
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t rosemary
3 small potatoes, at least quartered

Put the onion and potatoes in the bottom of the crock-pot.  Place the roast on top.
Mix garlic, ketchup, water, vinegar, Worcestershire, and rosemary.  Pour over roast, potatoes, and onions.
Cook on LOW.  I cooked mine for about six and a half hours.  I think that was too long. 

All in all, it was okay.  Roo liked the potatoes, but the other two kids didn't.  Kevin thought the roast was "okay".  The kids and I enjoyed it today on sandwiches for lunch.  We'll probably have that repeated a few times this week for lunch to get rid of those leftovers!

Lindy

No comments:

Post a Comment