Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Sweet-and-Sour Pork (Southern Living 1981)

This was when I was really worried about it. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I knew I'd followed the directions (save removing the gross/weird stuff), but was concerned it would NEVER thicken up.
 
Guess what? It did!
 
This was a winner!
 
 

Junior picked this recipe out when he saw me looking through the cookbook while I was picking my recipes. He said it sounded really really good. I decided to give it a whirl. I used olive oil instead of peanut oil and left out the raisins, the rest was according to directions!

 
This is post-green pepper cutting. I had the sugar, vinegar, and soy sauce slurry at the ready. I was trying to get everything streamlined so I could run feed Baby Girl while The Hubs finished up.
 
I ended up getting it to the "needs to be thickened" part of the recipe and left it in the capable hands of The Hubs. He kept me updated on its thickening progress. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
When I half finished with Baby Girl, this is what I saw:
 
 
 
 
 
 Wow!! It was actually working!! We let it go a little bit thicker than this, but wanted it to be kinda saucy for the rice.











 
 
 
 
 
I served up dishes and finished with the baby. I heard all of the boys exclaiming about how good it was! 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Everyone really seemed to like this one. My only complaint is that it took A LOT longer to thicken up than I thought it would. I can't remember ever thickening a sauce with a cornstarch slurry before and it took way way way longer than I estimated. It was fine because our basketball practice was cancelled last night, but might have helped to have a time estimate in the recipe. All in all, I will definitely make it again.






No comments:

Post a Comment