Thursday, February 27, 2014

Cheesy Sour Cream Enchiladas (Southern Living 1979)

When I saw the title of this recipe, I thought it would be a big hit with my family.  Cheese and sour cream happen to be two of their favorites - particularly for K-man and Little Man.

However, when I started looking at the recipe in more detail once I finally decided when to make it, I wasn't so sure how it would be received.  Two cans cream of mushroom soup just really didn't sound like something I'd want to have on an enchilada.  However, this was a recipe that Chery chose for us to try, so we were going to definitely give it a try.
This turned out really well.  If I made it again, though, I would put something else in it.  We ate ours with cooked spinach, and it tasted really great and didn't break up the smooth texture of the dish.  Audry's "hubs" thought cubed chicken might be a good change up, too.

Cheesy Sour Cream Enchiladas
(equivalent of) 2 cans homemade cream of chicken soup
1 cup Greek yogurt
1/8 t pepper
1/8 t garlic powder
1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles
1-1/2 ups shredded Mexican fiesta cheese (2% milk)
16 corn tortillas (I used a corn/flour blend from Fresh Market that were really good)

Combine soup, yogurt, chiles, pepper, and garlic powder in a medium saucepan; mix well.  Cook over medium heat, stirring often until hot. 
I warmed the tortillas just to make them more pliable.  I put about 1-1/2 T cheese and 2 T soup mixture into the center of each tortilla.  Roll tightly and place in a well-sprayed 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish.
Spoon the remaining soup mixture on top of the enchiladas.  Sprinkle with any remaining cheese.
Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.

This picture is of leftovers.  It was much prettier the night before straight out of the oven, but I just forgot to take a picture.

Lindy

No comments:

Post a Comment