Saturday, January 11, 2014

A little bit of Spinach Dip

I will admit, I have an aversion to mayonaise.  For some reason, I just find the whole concept a little disturbing... I'm not quite sure why or where this began, but it ranks up there with shortening as things that we don't really keep in the kitchen and that I do no use in my cooking.  That being said, finding a good spinach dip that doesn't use the dredded mayonaise was somewhat of a challenge.
With as many tailgates and get togethers as we have, I have developed what some might say is an excellent - mayonaise free - spinach dip.

Spinach & Artichoke Dip

2 cups Mozzerella cheese
1/2 Cup Fat Free Sour Cream
1/4 Cup Parmesean Cheese
1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 (14 oz) can artichoke hearts, drained & chopped
1 (8 oz) 1/3 less fat Cream Cheese
1 (8 oz) Fat Free Cream Cheese
1/2 (10 oz) pkg of Frozen Spinach, defrosted and de-juiced
Crushed Red Pepper (to taste)

Combined 1 1/2 cups mozzerella, sour cream, 2 tbls parmesean cheese and remaining ingredients.  Put in baking dish and cover with remaining 1/2 cup mozzerella and the remaining 2 tbls parmesean.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  
Serve warm with chips. 

I have experimented over the years with the use of Fat Free vs. 1/3 less fat vs. "Full Fat"... honestly, in this recipe; you can't tell the difference.  

I actually had some of this wonderful cheesy goodness that I had reserved.  I used it in stuffed chicken for dinner this past week and must say, it was and Excellent Dinner.

For the Spinach (dip) Stuffed Chicken I slit two (salted and peppered) chicken breasts to creat a "pocket" and filled it with as much of the above dip as looked good (about a tablespoon or two).  I then put in the baking dish and covered with Marinara Sauce.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.  I did put a little bit more Mozzerella and Parmesean on top for the last 10 minutes.

It was a really yummy.  After thinking that I was a little strange at first (Wait, you want to use the dip for WHAT?), Chris was very impressed.  It was a quick mid-week meal, that seemed somewhat impressive.  :0)

- Chery


No comments:

Post a Comment