Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Carrot-pineapple muffins (Southern Living 1981)

The original recipe:
 I decided to make Carrot-Pineapple Muffins over the weekend. I started working early Saturday morning while the house was still asleep. I had doubts about either of my boys thinking this would be remotely edible. So, in an effort to "trick" them, I decided to leave out the carrots. Make them more inconspicuously good for you. It worked! But first, let me tell you what I did to change these up (aside from leaving out a main ingredient).
I had only a huge can of crushed pineapple, so I got out a full 3/4 cup of liquid. No milk used. I used about half of the actual pineapple inside the can (and used the rest for a rather yucky pineapple upside-down cake...but that's another story for another day). Instead of oil, I used Greek yogurt - vanilla flavor.

So...what did the family think? J-boy, my third grader, respectfully declined the muffin when I offered it. He usually prefers cereal, so this was to be expected and I didn't fully attribute it to the fact that it was a pineapple muffin. I then went to go feed the baby. 

While I was with Baby Girl, Junior, my fifth grader, woke up. His dad offered him a muffin. When asked what kind they were, Dad had no clue. Junior went for the unknown and tried the muffin. I finished with Baby Girl and asked Junior what he thought of the muffin. He gave it two thumbs up and said it was really good. 

Pause.

"Hey...what kind of muffins are these anyway?" He asked with curiousity.

"Pineapple," was my reply from the kitchen. His look of disgust was priceless. Oh well. At least Dad got him to eat one.


No comments:

Post a Comment