Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Chicken-in-a-pot (Southern Living 1981)

This is the original recipe:
 
Lindy assigned me this recipe and gave me the challenge of making it a crock-pot meal. I like cooking a whole chicken in the crock-pot at the beginning of the week. (Okay. Fine. I've done it once. But I liked it.) I skipped the onion salt and minced garlic. I used fresh rosemary, sage, and thyme instead of dried rosemary. I also removed much of the skin.


To put the chicken in the crock-pot, I used the foil balls as described in this post.

I put the cut apples inside the cavity, "trussed" the chicken, (whatever that means. I tied together the legs and called it done.) and juiced the lemon all over the chicken. I then placed it, oh so lovingly, inside the crock-pot. I turned it on low and called it done! We ate about 4 or 5 hours after I turned the crock-pot on.

The verdict: I served the chicken with rice, salad, and homemade french bread. The boys ate it. They'll eat pretty much anything that can be dipped in honey mustard...as long as it's not a vegetable. Hubs ate it and proclaimed it better than the last whole chicken I cooked in the crock-pot. All in all, it's a repeatable recipe. It's nice to have meat for 3 meals from one cooking effort.

Apparently I didn't take any after pictures. I'll try to do better next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment