Thursday, January 30, 2014

Black-Eyed Peas Mexicano (Southern Living 1979)

I made this dish a couple of weeks ago.  It was one of my picks, because Kevin likes black-eyed peas.  I wasn't sure how it would go over with the kids, so I approximately halved the recipe.  I needn't have worried.  The dish was a huge hit. 
I tweaked this only slightly, mainly to cut down on the heat a little bit for the kids.  Also, since I used canned black-eyed peas, I didn't simmer this for an hour - thus making this an even quicker meal to get to the table.

Black-Eyed Peas Mexicano
4 Jimmy Dean Fully Cooked Turkey Sausage patties
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
1 glove garlic, minced
1 (16-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 t chili powder

Heat sausage patties.  Crumble as they are heating.  Stir in onion and garlic; saute 3 to 5 minutes.
Stir in remaining ingredients.  Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Lindy

No comments:

Post a Comment