Monday, January 20, 2014

Lindy - Menu Plan 1/19/2014

Another recipe in Southern Living 1979 caught my eye as a possible crock-pot recipe: Cardamom Pot Roast.  Perfect for a cold Sunday lunch, except it turned out pretty disastrous, at least to me and Kevin; the kids still ate it.  I totally messed up the recipe.  The roast turned out WAY too vinegary.  I had white cooking wine (instead of Chablis), but it was apparently too old.  Oops.  I'll post the recipe here, just in case anyone else wants to give it a try.  I didn't have pickling spices, so I used a combo similar to recipes I saw online.  I halved the SL 79 recipe below and put everything up to the flour into the crock-pot on low for about four hours.  I didn't make the gravy, since it smelled so vinegary.



I think I sort-of made up for it by having the Southern Living 1979 Sweet Potato Pie for dessert. I'll post my version of the recipe later.  It turned out well for a sweet potato pie, not something I've ever made before and can't really ever even remember trying.

Sunday night was breakfast for dinner, of course.  Little man's request was French toast, so on Saturday I made a new loaf of my version of this Honey Oat Quick Bread.  We had steamed apples with the French toast.  Yummy!

Melt in Your Mouth Chicken, pictured below, was tonight's recipe.  I substituted Greek yogurt for the mayo.  We really don't like mayo in our family.  For the seasoning, I only used 1/2 t garlic powder, 1/4 t pepper, 1/4 t oregano, and 1/4 t basil.  This was served with mixed vegetables and cheesy green bean bake that I cooked a month or so ago and froze the leftovers.  The chicken was very good - tender and moist.




Balsamic Mustard Chicken.  Not sure the side yet.

Jumbo Seashells Florentine (SL 79).  This recipe calls for cream of mushroom soup.  We aren't big fans of cream of mushroom soup, and so I usually substitute cream of chicken soup.  I will use this cream of chicken soup recipe rather than the canned stuff.  I recently made this soup for a ground turkey stroganoff, and it was very good.

One of Kevin's childhood favorites is his mother's chicken casserole.  Although I will probably not make it just like she does, I will make an attempt at a chicken casserole.  It will not be exactly like his mother's, but it will be close.  I will use the second half of the homemade cream of chicken soup above.

Linking up with orgjunkie.com
mpm chalkboard

Lindy

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful plate, Lindy! I can't wait to have your dad make "melt in your mouth chicken"! Looks and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete