Sunday, January 12, 2014

Muffins from January 1979



The recipe for Coffee Cake Muffins says the yield is a dozen.  I actually only got eight muffins.  Kevin said that my version of the Coffee Cake Muffins could have been a little sweeter, and he also suggested adding a bit of cinnamon to the muffin batter.  I'd say these muffins were a success, though, based on the fact that he and little man had seconds.

Coffee Cake Muffins (adapted from Southern Living 1979)
2 T brown sugar
2 T chopped pecans
2-1/2 T whole wheat flour
2 T butter, melted
1 t cinnamon
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 T brown sugar
2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1/2 cup whole milk
1 egg, beaten

Heat oven to 375.
Combine 2 T brown sugar, pecans, 2-1/2 T flour, butter, and cinnamon.  Stir well, and set aside.
Combine 1-1/2 cups flour, 2 T brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in Green yogurt.  Mixture will look like crumbs.
Combine milk and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
Place paper liner in muffin tin.  Spoon 1 T of batter into each cup; sprinkle with 1 T brown sugar mixture; spoon in remaining batter, and top with remaining brown sugar.
Bake for 25 minutes at 375.

With the Yam muffins (in the picture above, the bottom muffin), I actually did get 18 muffins out of the recipe, just like it said.  Baby girl liked them, and Kevin gave them a thumb's up, too.  And they really did taste good, once I cut off the bottom part of the muffin.  Sigh...  I should have gone with my instinct when I saw that these muffins were supposed to cook for 35 minutes at 425.  I've never had to cook muffins at that high of a temperature for that long.  Needless to say the muffins got a little burned on the bottom.  Still, they did taste good.  I'll just cut off the bottoms of them for breakfasts this week.


Yam Muffins (recipe adapted from Southern Living 1979)
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 T brown sugar
1 T baking powder
1-1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t ground cloves
1 t salt
2 eggs, beaten
1-1/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
1 T butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup Greek yogurt

Heat oven to 425; however, based on my experience, the next time I make these I will back it down to 400.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.  Make a well in the center of mixture.
Combine eggs, mashed sweet potatoes, butter, milk, and yogurt.  Add to dry ingredients, stirring until moistened.
Spoon into sprayed muffin tins, filling approximately two-thirds full.
Bake at 425 for 35 minutes, but I will bake at 400 for 30 minutes the next time I make these.


Lindy

No comments:

Post a Comment