Sunday, January 12, 2014

Ranch Style Chili


On pages 11 and 12 in the 1980 Southern Living there are exactly 5 Chili recipes... why my sisters assigned me the "Ranch Style" (and beans), I'm not sure.  Since I do not eat meat and really don't have an affinity for beans, we needed an excuse to make this chili.  Luckily, that came in the first week of January with a little BCS National Championship football game...

My husband is a HUGE Florida State fan, and my family is all Auburn.  So, in our little corner of the world - this was a BIG game.  Needless to say, the chili was ready to go the day before the game in aniticipation of the THE day.  According to my husband, this makes chili better... when it has time to "meld" together.  

To prepare for this chili, we actually had to do a little research.  We had to search online to find out what, exactly, "ranch-style" beans are.  Having looked online, I can tell you - it is an actual brand!  It is a type of bean in a special sauce (according to the online information).  Thus armed, my husband did the grocery shopping for the week - I know, I'm a lucky girl - and was able to find these special beans on the bottom shelf at the local Wal-Mart.  

The chili turned out well.  According to our friends, who were more than willing to be guinea pigs on this one, it tastes exactly like a diner style chili.  I guess that is good?  It isn't a creative chili (there just isn't a whole lot to it), but it was serviceable and easy to put together.  I did follow it pretty close to the recipe, mainly because I wasn't going to eat it anyway, but there weren't many comments on what should be added or that there was "too" much of anything.

According to the husband, this was a 3 1/2 Star recipe - for what it was (a basic chili).  
Although, since Florida State won, we may have to make this one many more times starting in the fall...

"Go Noles",
chery

1 comment:

  1. We had chili before the game, too. Your recipe was obviously luckier than ours! I'm with you; you'll be making this recipe again!

    ReplyDelete